Find out what’s on in Saitama this weekend with the best Saitama event list on the web. If its on in Saitama, its on insaitama.com!
Please see the grey “details box” at the bottom of each individual event for dates, hours, prices, location and external links.
- This event has passed.
Famous Setsubun Festival at Souganji Temple | KAZO
February 3, 2019 @ 11:00 – 22:00
The Setsubun festival at Fudougaoka Fudouson Souganji Temple in Kazo is famous throughout Kanto and beyond. (Souganji / Soganji / Sogan Temple is one of the three major Fudo Temples.) The festival has been carried out for almost 400 years. Apart from the common practice of mamemaki, throwing beans to ward off demons, they also have a very unique and popular ceremony involving three oni, Japanese type ogre or demon.
The ceremony involves three demons as opposed to the usual two. One is dressed in red, one in blue and one in black. The demon in red carries a torch, the demon in blue bears a sword and the demon in black holds a bat. They run around the temple throwing out beans and sometimes money. There are lots of other type of festivities on the day too such as a parade, music, ritual ceremonies and festival booths.
The festival is held on the 3rd of February every year. It starts at 11 am and finishes at 10 pm. The schedule of the demons appearance is not known.
Setsubun Festival Souganji Access
Take a bus for “Kazo Garage” from Tobu Isesaki Line Kazo Station. 3 minute walk from the garage.
15 minutes by car from Tohoku Expressway Kazo Interchange.
Parking for 500 cars normally, but during the festival you might not be able to use the temple parking.
For more setsubun and seasonal events in Saitama, please see the events calendar.
- This weekend in Saitama February 16th and 17th
- This weekend in Saitama February 9th and 10th
- Fireflies and White Tigers at Tobu Zoo | MIYASHIRO
- Time slip Onihei Edo-dokoro Parking Area | HANYU
- This weekend in Saitama
- Rice Field Art and Ancient Lotus: Kodai Hasu No Sato | GYODA
- Musashi No Mura Amusement Park | KAZO
- Round up of Halloween Events 2016 | SAITAMA
- Water play and pedal cars at Hanasaki Water Park | KAZO
- Summer Festivals in Saitama July 14th – 20th 2016