Find out what’s on in Saitama this weekend with the best Saitama event list on the web. If its on in Saitama, its on insaitama.com!
Please see the grey “details box” at the bottom of each individual event for dates, hours, prices, location and external links.
- This event has passed.
Nagatoro Fire Festival
March 3, 2019 @ 10:00 – 17:00
A truly awesome and invigorating festival, the fire festival is one of those only-in-Japan occasions that are a must see for the long term expat in Japan. It will also be of interest to passing tourists, who can appreciate the grandeur of the fire ritual without understanding Japanese.
The festival is held annually in March near the Mt Hodo base ropeway station at the foot of Mt Hodo. 1,000 participants march to the Nagatoro Fudo Temple that is near the ropeway station. At the temple Buddhist priests walk through the fires of a holy fire called a goma. The ritual is called “hiwatari” and this is a rare opportunity to see it up close. It heralds the start of spring and is a prayer for protection against misfortune.
At the moment, there is a plum blossom in the festival on Mt Hodo too:
Nagatoro Fire festival access
The temple is about a 20 minute walk from Nagatoro station. At the station they have traditional shishimai performances for the occasion.
There is a car park beside the Hodosan ropeway base station. There is limited parking at the temple. Both are charged parking sites.
- Make your own Saika bonsai | OMIYA
- Santa Tochigi Meet and Greets 2018
- Ibaraki Santa Meet and Greets 2018
- Only in Japan: the Tokorozawa Santa parade
- The Santa Round Up 2017 | TOCHIGI
- The Santa Round Up 2017 | IBARAKI
- Priya the magical dog, killer hornets and stone grilled food |Kawagoe
- Mooka SL Santa Train 2015 | Real life Christmas Train
- Manhole Monday
- PR Campaign on Tokyo Toilet Paper