Find out what’s on in Saitama this weekend with the best Saitama event list on the web. If its on in Saitama, its on insaitama.com!
Please see the grey “details box” at the bottom of each individual event for dates, hours, prices, location and external links.
- This event has passed.
Setsubun Mamemaki Train | CHICHIBU RAILWAY
February 3, 2019 @ 11:00 – 13:30
Last year the first Mamemaki train was such a success that Chichibu Railway are hosting the event again this year. Mamemaki is bean throwing, a pivotal element of the Setsubun festivities. You throw beans at “oni” Japanese ogres, or demons as they are intermittently called, to scare them away!
There will be oni at some of the Chichibu line train stations en route. Which stations remains a closely guarded secret. Children (and parents) can throw beans at the oni on the station’s platform. Accordingly the train will stop in the stations for about nine minutes. If you are going to the end of the line, Chichibu station, mascot oni characters will be waiting to guide passengers to Chichibu Shrine where there are even more festivities.
The train itself is one of Chichibu railway special design trains. You can register at Chichibu Railway Kumagaya station where you will receive the beans and a commemoration present. The train leaves from Kumagaya station at 11.14 am. It will make five stops before reaching the terminal Chichibu station at 1.11 pm. The stops are Takekawa, Yorii, Nogami, Nagatoro and Minano.
You can find even more setsubun and mamemaki events on the main event pages.
- This weekend in Saitama February 9th and 10th
- This weekend in Saitama
- Only in Saitama: unusual Komainu
- The freak show that is Hodosan Zoo | NAGATORO
- Nagatoro’s Hodosan Ropeway | CHICHIBU
- 12 things to do in Saitama this February
- 10 famous places for “Hatsumode” in Saitama
- Fireflies in their natural habitat | CHICHIBU
- Kita Sakura Street and other famous Nagatoro cherry blossoms | NAGATORO
- Midori No Mura: Remote Retreat, Park and Log cabins | OGANO