Find out what’s on in Saitama this weekend with the best Saitama event list on the web. If its on in Saitama, its on insaitama.com!
Please see the grey “details box” at the bottom of each individual event for dates, hours, prices, location and external links.
Tokorozawa Dolls Festival 2019
February 9, 2019 @ 10:00 – March 10, 2019 @ 18:00
Tokorozawa Dolls Festival officially known as Tokorozawa Hina Monogatari.
Tokorozawa celebrates its doll production history with this “monogatari” festival. Monogatari are described as a narrative tale. They are believed to have developed from oral storytelling of fiction, that even when based on true historical events are fictionalised. They remind me of the stories of seanchai in (my own) Irish culture.
As far as I can tell the Monogatari used in relation to the Tokorozawa dolls’ festival relates to a story told by images, or particularly the dolls. The event involves displays of historic hina dolls, some of which were made in Tokorozawa. Doll making “Tokorozawa Ningyo” Tokorozawa started in 1849 in Tokorozawa. If a window has the above image displayed, they have hina dolls on display in the shop. Some of the shops and restaurants will have special offerings during the display period.
Dolls are displayed in the Tokorozawa Machi Zukuri Shouten area of Tokorozawa between 10 am and 6 pm from Fridays to Wednesdays, closed on Thursdays.
For more dolls festival and seasonal events in Saitama prefecture please see the main events calendar.
- Only in Saitama: Chukaman Museum | IRUMA
- Tokorozawa Aviation Museum | TOKOROZAWA
- Only in Japan: the Tokorozawa Santa parade
- Meiji Chocolate Factory Tour | SAKADO
- 13 things to do in Saitama this October
- Tokorozawa Aviation Memorial Park | TOKOROZAWA
- Visiting Totoro at the house of Kurosuke | TOKOROZAWA
- The local outdoor seasonal pool | SAKADO
- The Homeland of Totoro on Tokyo Border @ Sayama Hills | TOKOROZAWA
- Place Review: 3D latte Art Café Chocotea | SAKADO