Ikaho Green’s farm has a very good reputation and most people who go to it give it a good review. However, while I liked it and we really enjoyed ourselves, I found it to be more expensive than most farms in the Kita-Kanto (Northern area of Greater Tokyo). The Sheepdog show is included in the price and that is something that you can’t see in many places. Plus, there are opportunities to get up close and personal with some of the animals that roam freely or are within arms reach. All things considered, it is a really fun family day out!
What can you do at Green Farm?
- View a sheepdog and sheep shearing show, the largest of its kind in Japan.
- Pet corner – costs 500 yen per person to spend sometime petting or holding rabbits.
- Walk with sheep and goats – costs 500 yen per person for 15 minutes.
- Milk the cows – costs 500 yen per person for one try.
- Feed the calves – costs 500 yen per person for one bottle of feed.
- Amusement park – 30 different activities and rides, each cost between 100 and 500 yen.
- Ride on a horse drawn carriage – 800 yen for adults and students, 500 yen for preschoolers and below.
We visited on the 1st of May and there were still some late blooming cherry blossoms, yaezakura. The farm is very well maintained and is quite beautiful. It is suitable to children of all ages. It is quite hilly, but you can easily navigate between sections with a stroller. They have nappy changing and nursing room facilities for babies as well as child friendly toilets. There are places you can buy food and souveniers. The kids plate costs 750 yen, a Sundae costs 520 yen. You are allowed bring your own food into the farm. The sheepdog and sheep shearing show is toward the back of the farm and there is a camping site beside it (that needs to be booked in advance). It was an interesting experience. The farmer is from New Zealand so he speaks in English quite a bit through the show. There is also a BBQ area, a museum and strawberry picking on the farm, all cost extra.
Ikaho Greens Farm HalloweenIkaho Green’s Farm is one of the few places in that area of Gunma that mark Halloween. They have Halloween decorations out for the lead up to Halloween and they run some special events such as Pumpkin Carving. Children under 7 who come in costume during the period (usually mid-September to October 31st) can enter the park for free.
IKAHO GREEN’S FARM GENERAL INFORMATIONIKAHO GREENS FARM ENTRANCE COST (2015) 1200 yen for adults, 600 yen for children over 3, free for 2 and under. As per above, each event costs extra. **Between early January and the end of February entrance fee is half the price. Physically disabled and people over 65 are also half price (all year round). IKAHO GREENS FARM OPENING HOURS 9am to 4pm. In the winter it opens at 10am. In January and February it is closed Monday through Thursday. IKAHO GREENS FARM ACCESS Roughly 2 hours from Tokyo and 90 minutes from Saitama. 8 kilometres from the Shibukawa Ikaho Interchange on the Kanetsu Expressway. Free parking for up to 700 cars. 19 minute bus ride from Shibukawa Station, bus bound for Ikaho Hotsprings ”伊香保温泉” Address: 2844-1 Kanai, Shibukawa, Gunma Prefecture 377-0027 Telephone: 0279-24-5335 For up-to-date costs, event schedules and opening hours please do check the official URL. URL (English): http://www.greenbokujo.co.jp/english/
- New branch of Kona’s Coffee opens | KAZO
- Visiting Totoro at the house of Kurosuke | TOKOROZAWA
- Fireflies in their natural habitat | CHICHIBU
- Fun packed and family friendly Nasunogahara Campsite and Park | TOCHIGI
- Forest adventure Ueno and Mahoba No Mori | GUNMA
- Get your Ninja on at Edo period amusement park | TOCHIGI
- Only one in the world: Saitama’s famous cherry blossom | KITAMOTO
- Steam Locomotive Paleo Express | KUMAGAYA TO CHICHIBU
- Mt Takao with children (includes New Years data) | HACHIOJI 【TOKYO】
- Easy Hike to Gojyou Waterfall | HIDAKA