Styrofoam Art Kawagoe – Kawagoe is a very popular tourist area in Saitama, about 30 minutes by train from Ikebukuro station in Tokyo. There is a lot to do in the tourist area of Kawagoe and a wealth of information about it on the web. However, I want to introduce a little known fact about the art in the popular tourist area.
Styrofoam art in Kawagoe
Around the area of “kashiya yokocho“, literally meaning sweet (candy) alley, there are a number of giant and life size animal replicas. They are all made out of styrofoam! The artist, Yajima Kimio, retired early from his Kawagoe City Hall position, to indulge in his passion. I, for one, am glad he did. The displays change over time, so you never know when a new one will appear or an old one will be moved. Most of his work is displayed in Kawagoe, but you can also find some of his work in other parts of Saitama.
I got some of his work this past weekend. I realise after reading his blog tonight, I missed a few pieces. A good incentive, not that I need one, to go back to Kawagoe sooner rather than later. You can find Mr Yajima’s blog here: http://kerokero2016.g.dgdg.jp/
You can see some more of his work on this (unrelated) blog here: http://tokyoern.blogspot.jp/2014/06/a-walk-around-koedo-kawagoe-part-2.html
For more on Kawagoe, please see the Kawagoe Guide.
You can find seasonal events for Kawagoe on the main Saitama events calendar.
- Kawagoe Styrofoam Art 2019
- Kore ga kakigori aka Korekaki| KAWAGOE
- Saitama Norin Park | FUKAYA
- Pottery Workshop at Touho Yamawa | KAWAGOE
- Isanuma Park | Kawagoe
- Newly opened Trampoline Airjoy | KAWAGOE
- Chic Cafe with garden and kids glamping play area | HIGASHIMATSUYAMA
- Meiji Chocolate Factory Tour | SAKADO
- Kawagoe 3D Trick Art Museum | KAWAGOE
- Ishihara Mokkokan – cafe and retro showroom | KAWAGOE