New Open: Chukaman Museum ~ free nikuman factory tour information share
The “Only in Saitama” series continues with Saitama’s latest free factory tour. The Chukaman Museum is a Nikuman (pork buns) Factory tour in Iruma. It is the first, and currently only, museum of its type in the whole of Japan. The museum opened in Iruma on January 25th and is already in popular demand.
The museum requires that you book in advance online. Currently they are only taking bookings for between two and nine people. You can book in advance (subject to availability) for the current month and the following two months after. Booking for a month starts at midnight on the first day of the month. So booking for April started at midnight this morning. I tried to get a booking for April at bang on midnight and it was already fully booked 30 seconds in!
There are two tours a day, five days a week between Friday and Tuesday. It is closed on Wednesday and Thursday except during spring break when they have two weeks of daily tours. The tours are at 10 am and 2 pm. They last about an hour and a half. The tour involves a short video introduction followed by a tour of the factory. After that they introduce the deliciousness of nikuman through a game. Finally you end the tour with a nikuman tasting.
The museum is brought to you by (Shinjuku) Nakamuraya, a bakery famed for introducing curry to Japan. There is a great story to how the bakery came to serve curry and subsequently became a restaurant. The abbreviated version: the family gave refuge to an Indian revolutionist, Bose, who had fled India during World War I. Bose thought he could attract new customers to the bakery with the aroma of spices from his home country. 100 years later and that aroma is still attracting people! It now attracts people from all over Japan and indeed all over the world, who want to sample the taste of Japan’s first ever curry.
Chukaman Museum Information
Open: Friday through Tuesday, closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays except during Spring Break.
Tour times: 10 am and 2 pm
Tour duration: the tour lasts about 90 minutes
Reservation: essential. A reservation must be made online through their online booking form.
Address: 234 Sayamadai, Iruma-shi, Saitama-ken 358-0033.
Plus code: R935+46 Iruma, Saitama Prefecture
The Chukaman factory is near ALIT and close to Costco and Mitsui Outlet in Iruma. The nearest station is about a 40 minute walk away: Kaneko station on the Hachiko line. By car it is about a 10 minute drive from the Iruma interchange of the Ken-o expressway.
Amazon Choice: Nakamuraya Sauce. This an Amazon Associates link. If you click on this link *and* buy something I might get a yen or two reward. This will not come out of your pocket, only Amazons! For more information about Saitama With Kids participation in Amazon Associates click here.
More in the “Only in Saitama” series:
- Photo Friday January 2020 Week 3
- Geocaching Saitama: at Sakitama Tomb Park
- Photo Friday and 1000 Hours Outside
- What to expect at a Dezome Shiki
- Saiboku No Mori – New in Hidaka
- Photo Friday January 2020 Week 1
- New Year Races
- Dezome Shiki locations Saitama – 1st fire brigade celebration of the year
- 2019 in review: best Saitama flowers
- Our 2019 Santa Visit to Santa's House in Japan
- Best value buffet, Market Terrace Kawagoe
- Yoshida Folk House Ogawa Town
- Washi workshop in Tokigawa
- An experience of a lifetime: taiko with Ondekoza
- The Story of the Forest and Lights 2019
- November Santa Events in 2019
- Anrakuji Yoshimi Kannon
- Opening of the Kinbue Soy Sauce Park | KAWAJIMA
- Visiting the Matsuoka Brewery in Ogawa Town
- Cosmos Picking and Autumn Roses in Kawajima