- Traditional festivals
- Dance Festival
- Halloween events
- Night Illumination
- Anime and Manga event
- Afternoon tea
- Fruit Picking
- Activities including a hot air balloon ride and rafting
(1) FireworksYou can enjoy one of Kanto’s largest and most exciting fireworks in Konosu City on October 13th. This is the only large fireworks display in the month of October in the greater Tokyo area. Access, times and other information included in this event posting:
(2) Traditional festivalsThere are a number of traditional festivals on in the month of October in Saitama. Including the two mammoth festivals of Kawagoe and Iruma. Access information, dates and times are included in the linked posts: Tokorozawa Festival is also on (link to external website “Chokotabi”).
(3) Dance Festivals53 teams with over 2000 members in total participate in the annual autumn Yosakoi dance festival in Sakado. Hours and access information in the Sakado Yosakoi event page:
(4) Halloween eventsIn the last few years the number of Halloween events have multiplied. Saitama now hosts dozens of Halloween festivals including the largest Halloween parade in Northern Kanto: main event pages and a summary of all 2018 Halloween events in the Halloween Guide.
(5) Night IlluminationA couple of the larger night illumination displays switch on in October, including the Halloween light up in Shinrin Park.
**Saitama October Guide**
(6) Anime and Manga eventSaitama’s largest anime and manga event is held annually in October. “AniTamaSai” will take place on October 14th this year. Hours, access and other information:
(7) Afternoon teaAfternoon tea is not unique to October, but in the month of October you can enjoy autumn and Halloween themed afternoon tea in various locations around Saitama. The Halloween dessert buffet and Witches’ afternoon tea in Shikitei Cafe in Saitama city is proving very popular this year. More information:
(8) SkiEven though Saitama is not known for snow, mainly because we rarely get any, you can ski in Saitama as early as October annually. That is thanks to the indoor ski slopes in Tokorozawa. Sayama Indoor Skiing resort has confirmed that the slopes will open for the season on October 26th this year.
(9) CampingOctober is normally a great month to enjoy camping in Saitama. Particularly in the first two weeks of October. This year the weather has been a lot more volatile than normal, so the conditions may not be as comfortable as usual, but there should be at least a couple of days of good camping weather. If you are worried about the cooler night temperatures, I recommend getting a site that has electrical sockets so you can use a hot carpet and / or fan heater. There are a number of places you can camp in Saitama, one of our picks of family friendly campsites is Nagatoro Autocamp. Nagatoro Autocamp has cabins too, some of them converted train carriages, so you can camp or glamp in comfort. There are fridges for rent and even a nursery on site making it a great place for a first family camping trip. More information:
(10) HikingLike with camping, the temperate weather of October makes it a suitable month for enjoying hiking and other outdoor activities. Currently Tobu Railways is running a hiking stamp rally. Some information in English (external site: City-cost expat network)
Tobu Railway Hiking Rally
Tobu Railway Hiking Rally
I wrote before about a stamp rally in the town I used to live. Well, my son found another pamphlet for a stamp rally that is so up my alley. It is a series of hiking courses around the Tobu railway in my area. It began in April and ends in
(11) Fruit pickingKomatsuzawa Leisure Fruit Picking farm in Yokoze town in Chichibu has fruit and vegetable picking almost all year round. In October you can pick grapes. You will find English information on many of the big tourist websites, but the official website is in Japanese only:
Source: www.komatsuzawa.co.jp/index.htmlTowards the end of October you should also be able to pick Mikan in HigashiChichibu Mura in Oouchisawa Mikan Farm. Unfortunately there is no English information for this farm online. Here is the official Japanese website:
みかん狩り | 東秩父村にある大内沢観光みかん園「見晴園」
みかん狩り | 東秩父村にある大内沢観光みかん園「見晴園」
(12) FlowersKonosu features on the list again, this time for its Cosmos Festival that is held in October. The flowers bloom from about mid October to the end of October and the 2 day festival is held on a weekend during that period. Information for this year’s Cosmos Festival: Satte and Kinchakuda, but this year they finished up early. In the mountains of Chichibu, the leaves (autumn / fall foliage) will start to change to stunning autumn colours.
(13) ActivitiesAgain thanks to the suitable weather conditions October is a great month to enjoy outdoor activities. There are a number of activities you can enjoy all year round in Saitama, some more unique than others. Such as the hot air balloon ride for just 2000 yen in Tokorozawa Aviation Park: Activity Japan (I have no affiliation to this site). That is just some ideas for the month of October. What do you like to do in Autumn and / or October in your home country or the country you are living in now?
- ALIT Museum | IRUMA
- Saitama Prefectural Museum of History and Folklore | OMIYA
- Kawagoe Styrofoam Art 2019
- Only in Saitama: Chukaman Museum | IRUMA
- 12 things to do in Saitama this February
- 10 famous places for “Hatsumode” in Saitama
- Tokorozawa Aviation Museum | TOKOROZAWA
- Only in Japan: the Tokorozawa Santa parade
- The Children’s Castle at Saitama Children’s Zoo | HIGASHIMATSUYAMA
- Shoden Temple | HIDAKA