Ageo Maruyama park is frequently listed in Saitama’s top 3 list of family parks. It is personally one of my favourites. I love that although the park isn’t massive, there is so much to do and see that you can spend a full day there. I particularly like that they have swings that toddlers can sit into with back and stomach support, which is a rarity in this area of Saitama. The facilities and attractions in the park, even the zoo corner, are completely free.
Ageo Maruyama Park
Another benefit for families with young children is that the (free) parking is off road and right beside the toddler friendly playground. The only downside is that unless you drive, access is a bit difficult. There is a bus from Ageo station (details below), but it is infrequent and often packed.
- Lake, pond and other water features including a wading river
- A small “zoo” with petting hour
- 23 meter roller slide
- Adventure playground
- Climbing wall
- Large cement slide
- Firefly dome
- Nature Education Hall
- BBQ Area (new and improved area since around 2019)
Maruyama Park through the seasons
It is very pretty in the Spring, first with plum blossoms then with cherry blossoms. There is an early blooming cherry blossom area since around 2014. The park has several different varieties of sakura. It is a popular place to do “Hanami” (Flower viewing picnic).
In summer the wading streams, fireflies and beetles draw families from afar. In Autumn many photographers come to capture the leaves vibrant colours. You can collect acorns in early winter. On a rainy day you can enjoy free access to the nature education hall.
- ☆Toilets in at least 4 different locations, each with a special needs toilet with changing mat
- ☆Water drinking fountains
- ☆Taps for washing your feet beside the wading river and ones for washing your hands in the petting zoo area
- ☆A small shop that is open on weekends and holidays
- ☆Barbecue area with its own management facility building, barbecue pits, log cabins, food preparation and washing up areas
- ☆Vending machines in at least 3 different locations.
- The park is open permanently
- The zoo corner is open from 9am to 4pm; closed on Tuesdays
- Petting hour is Wednesday through Sunday from 10 to 11am and 13.30 to 14.30 on Saturdays and holidays. In Winter (Dec through Feb) it is from 13.30 to 14.30 Wednesday through Sunday.
- Free Parking for 500 cars
Address: 3326 Hirakata, Ageo, Saitama Prefecture, Japan
From JR Ageo Station;
Tobu bus for terminal Ageo “Maruyama Park”; West Exit No. 6 bus
City bus “Gurutto-kun” for hirakata-zyunkan; West Exit. Alight at “Maruyama Koen Minamiguchi” bus stop or “Shizen gakusyu-kan iriguchi” bus stop