Places to see Animals in Tokyo
This is a master list of the zoos, farms, aquariums and other places with animals in the Tokyo area that are suited to children. You will also find a handful of locations that are actually outside Tokyo, but considered part of the Greater Tokyo area and renowned as places worth commuting to from Tokyo. This list is suited as a guide to both families living here and those traveling to Japan for a holiday. Each location is linked to either their official website or a webpage with further information. All locations are mapped on a Google My Map at the bottom of the article.
A special mention to the Otemachi Farm that opened in August 2017 on the 13th floor of the Pasona Headquarters building near JR Tokyo Station! Right in the heart of Tokyo City. You need to make a reservation to visit the 60 goats, cows, pigs and on other animals on site.
Zoos, Farms & Animal related
Places to see animals in Tokyo and the surrounding areas.
Ueno Zoo is Japan’s oldest zoo with more than 2600 animals. It is in Ueno park which has other attractions for families.
Tama Zoological Park was originally opened as part of Ueno Zoo.
Inokashira Zoo is part of a larger park
- Saitama Children’s Zoo is my family’s personal favorite! Reasonably priced
Edogawa Natural Zoo is FREE in
Hamura Zoo is very cheap
Itabashi Children’s zoo is FREE in
Yoyogi Pony Park is near Homotsuden Treasure Museum and Meiji Jingu
Shinozaki Pony Land is beside Edogawa Children’s “Miraikan”
Mt Takao Monkey Park in rural Tokyo on a mountain side
- Minuma Green Park / Miharashi Park in Omiya City, Saitama
- Tobu zoo (Saitama) is part of a hybrid park with large amusement area
- Nogeyama Zoo (Kanagawa) is free in and has a nice petting corner
Mother Farm (Chiba) has lots of activities for children
Narita Yume Farm near Narita Airport.
- Chichibu Highland Ranch in the mountains, great views, free.
- Otemachi Farm is on the 13th floor of a building, near JR Tokyo station.
- Ogano Deer Park (Saitama), small but free. You can feed the deer for just 50 yen.
- Ranzan Butterfly park (Saitama), small but free.
- Omiya Zoo (Saitama), small but free.
- Aqua Park Shinagawa
- Tokyo Sea Life Park in Kasai Seaside Park. Near Disney Land.
- Sunshine City Aquarium inside the mall of the same name
- Tokyo Tower Aquarium
- Sumida Aquarium
- Saitama Aquarium, a river aquarium.
- Hakkejima Sea Paradise (Yokohama, Kanagawa). Highly popular and my personal favourite. Excellent family day out.
There are hundreds upon hundreds of animal cafes around Japan now (2021), but at the time of writing this they were only taking off. These are the original cafes I had on the list.
- Animal Room Ikemofu for children over 6 years old
Harry Hedgehog and Bunny Cafe booking in advance is recommended. English language available(The cafe is still in existence, but the website is down in February 2021 so I have removed the link. You can read about the cafe on Japan Travel.
Harry Harajuku branch booking in advance is recommended. English language available(Same as above – website is down)
- Cat Cafe Neko Katsu (Kawagoe, Saitama). There is another cat cafe right beside this one, but be careful you don’t go in there as they do not welcome children. Neko Katsu is right beside the Kaldi Coffee Farm shop.
- Dog Cafe Bokuranote (Kawajima, Saitama).
Fish your own lunch!
There are hundreds of fishing restaurants in Japan now. But the below selection are places in the great outdoors. You can catch your own fish and then barbecue them on site.