Greenpark Fukiware is a riverside and forest campsite near the Fukiware falls in Numata, Gunma. The geography and set up of the camping grounds make it suitable for all year round camping. In winter there is snow play, spring brings the cherry blossoms, summer water play and in Autumn the campsite is vibrant with colorful leaves.
Greenpark Fukiware, Numata City
I would imagine that the site was named for the greenery of the forest and the nearby famous Fukiware falls (waterfall). If you are visiting the Fukiware falls and would like to stay somewhere nearby Greenpark is worth considering. Especially if you want to try camping in Japan, but don’t have your own tent: they can provide you with one and all the equipment you need for a night of camping. Plus if you book for one of their pizza workshops that’s your dinner sorted and they have a small cafe that sells beverages and snacks!
Greenpark Fukiware re-opened under new ownership eight years ago. It is one of countless campsites in the Kanto plain that have been around for donkey years, but changed ownership and reformed in recent years. The riverside campsite has a nice mix of new and old. It feels more like wild camping than other sites we have stayed at, despite having some nice extras. There are two different accommodation choices:
- Tent camping
- Bring your own tent and supplies or
- Rent all equipment and a Coleman tent from Greenpark
※There are sites with electricty and sites without. They have sites along the river or sites in fields or the forest.
- Cabins for up to four adults (or five with children) with air conditioning
You can also do a day camp or barbecue at Greenpark. Equipment is available for rent. And you can use the river and facilities.
The Kuribara river that runs by the campsite is relatively small and quite shallow. Clear, clean, fresh water. The part near the main management facility is only ankle high. There are steps down to it, with a little pebble beach along the side. The river has some small fish in it and we saw river crabs too. The cabins and one of the tent sites is along the river.
All year round camping
- Autumn – the leaves change color. The Numata area is renowned for apple picking.
- Winter – the winter season is just being introduced this year, 2020. Making Greenpark Fukiware an all year round campsite. You can camp and play in the snow from this year. There are ski resorts within commutable distance.
- Spring – camp under beautiful cherry blossom trees.
Summer in Greenpark
Greenpark makes an ideal place to camp during summer thanks to its altitude at 2017 feet, the forest coverage and riverside location. Its a good bit cooler in Numata than it is here in the plains of Saitama. Plus with the river to cool down in and a small playground with tree house in the forest, the kids can play uninhibited (with care of course).
The part of the river by the camp reception where the water is shallow has little shade. But further up the river near the back of the campsite, there is another section of river with a river beach. Here there is plenty of shade from the forest on one side and from a cliff on the other.
Summary of facilities / services / extras
- Early check in of midday
- Check out of 11 am
- Sites with electricity available (at an extra charge)
- Cabins with air conditioning / heating
- Some playground equipment suited to older children and adults (zip line type)
- Tree house for kids of all ages
- Sparklers permitted (subject to change)
- Snow play in winter
- River play in summer – clean, clear water
- Camping under sakura in spring
- Pizza making classes
- Small cafe on site
- No lights at some of the sites, but the walkways and toilets have sensor lights
- The sinks for cleaning up have hot water
- There’s a washing machine in the toilets
- You can leave your rubbish at a dedicated area in the campsite (except for aluminum cans which you need to bring home)
- Fukiware falls nearby
|Riverside Campsite Greenpark Fukiware|
|Address:||1098 Tonemachi Oyo, Numata, Gunma 378-0304|
|Hours:||Booking can be made up to 3 months in advance. Hours:|
8 am to 6 pm weekdays and off season
Until 8 pm on weekends and high season
Check in from 12:00 noon
Check out by 11:00 am
|Cost:||About 5000 yen per free site (bring your own tent)|
Via Kanetsu expressway from Saitama or Tokyo. The campsite is relatively easy to get to by car. Once you come off the highway at Numata interchange follow route 120 until you come to the turn for the campsite. The turn into the campsite is quite difficult to miss though. It is on the left hand side after you cross over the Kuribara river.https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d3199.0276282555933!2d139.21253131504295!3d36.69787397996987!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x601e501d19eaf145%3A0xaa026a7458534c4a!2sGreenpark%20Fukiware!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sjp!4v1589536915036!5m2!1sen!2sjp
I also wrote about this campsite on City-cost.com (click here).