Saitama Sakura Watch 2021
Hi! Apologies in advance that is quite basic, but I want to make the information available asap. I am getting a LOT of direct messages with queries about Saitama Cherry Blossoms. Thank you so so much, it means a lot to me. However and very unfortunately, I can’t give each and every message a personalized response. I am just one Momma – of four kids with a piano recital in the morning! But what I can do, is this: a list of places that have started to bloom…
Sakura Watch 2021 ~ Already starting to bloom
This a list of the Somei Yoshino or equivalent. It is information for when the blossoms open or start to bloom. Not full bloom, although occasionally I’ve added additional updates on the progress of the blossoms! Generally, full bloom is between 4 and 7 days after the blooms open. No golden rule, some places are quicker than others. And there are always exceptions.
This list does not include weeping cherries, kanzakura or other earlier blooming cherry blossoms. Almost every place is linked to further information in English. Either about the cherry blossoms specifically or about the location. There are two places I can’t find any decent information in English online. There are, no doubt, places that are missing. I will keep researching and I will try to update daily. If you know of somewhere else that has already started to bloom – help a girl out and leave a comment! Thank you.
Since March 18th
- Iwatsuki Castle Park and on March 20th they are already at 50%, March 22nd around 70%, March 26th full bloom.
- Kodai Hasu no Sato
- Saitama Children’s Zoo
Added after the first update:
Since March 19th
- Shingashi River by Hikawa Shrine
- Omiya Park – full bloom on March 21st
- Kumagaya Sakura Tsutsumi
- Inariyama Park
Since March 20th
- 3000 cherry blossoms at Tobu Zoo
- Jougaya Embankment
- The main cherries at Takao Sakura Park
- Hanno Central Park
- Ranzan Cherry Blossoms
- Wakaizumi Park Cherry blossoms
- Misato Park Cherry Blossoms
- The stunning Sakitama cherry blossoms:
- Kawagoe Aquatic Park
- Kazo Hanasaki Park
- Satte – Gongendo Park cherry blossoms
- Kawagoe Kitain Cherry blossoms 2021
- Omiya Hana no Oka and they are already nearing full bloom. Photo above taken today, March 23rd.
- Shinrin Park aka Musashi Kyuryo National Government Park
- Chikozan Park
- Ishito Kabazakura
- Miharashi Park and Citizen’s Forest Minuma Green Center, Kita ward, Saitama City. They are also nearing full bloom. Photo below taken today, March 23rd.
- 1000 cherry blossoms at Hitsujiyama Park
- Saitama Stadium 2002
- Ina Musenyama Cherry Blossom Promenade
- Kodama Senbonzakura
- Fukiage / Motoara / Konosu Cherry Blossoms
- Kaminuma and Shimonuma Cherry Blossoms, night light up has also started
- 100 Caves of Yoshimi
- Hatchoko Park
- Yono Park is in full bloom (I hadn’t heard they had opened until today and supposedly they are in full bloom)
- Tokorozawa Aviation Memorial Park
- Former Shimozato school aka Ashigakubo school from Non Non Biyori
- Higashimatsuyama agricultural park
- Koma Shrine – their festival is tomorrow, March 28th
- Kinchakuda – not only are they open, they’re in full bloom!
- Kamakita Lake – please note there is still no water in the lake
- Sakuranoyama – opened earlier in the week from what I can tell
- Isanuma park
- Kasenjiki Central park since around the 25th
Its raining tonight, March 28th, that could very well change everything. We will just have to wait until the morning to see which sakura spots where stripped of their beautiful blossoms on account of the rain. Fingers crossed, the damage won’t be too bad.
The sakura survived last night’s storm!
- Higashi Sakado Danchi (already full bloom)
- Ageo Bunka Center – along the river (already full bloom)
The cherry blossoms have started to bloom in Minano now. They are the last (or at least one of the last) to start blooming. However, it isn’t until mid April that Minano usually looks like the “Yoshino of Kanto”, when other varieties start to bloom too. Moreover, we are at a stage now that the Somei Yoshino are starting to shed. Several places are at less than 50% of bloom already. So this is the very last update for the 2021 Somei Yoshino Saitama. I hope you enjoyed the blossoms. Don’t forget, the yaezakura and other varieties are just starting so the cherry blossom season is not over, just the somei yoshino season. Happy Spring!
Sakura Watch 2021
This is not an exhaustive list. And I am still researching other locations for their status. I will continue to update this over the coming days. I use tenki.jp to check on some of the most famous spots and individually check every other location either in person (I know I’m mad) or online (Twitter, individual websites etc)!