General information for the ‘Cool Japan’ Musashino Reiwa Shrine. Musashino Reiwa Shrine is located in Tokorozawa Sakura Town, a hip entertainment hub, on the border of Tokyo.
Musashino Reiwa Shrine
The Musashino Reiwa Shrine, dubbed the Cool Japan shrine, was designed, under the supervision of Kengo Kuma, as part of the Cool Japan project. There are many unique elements to the shrine, but the design is the most striking. The building reminds me greatly of a kabuto helmet. The interior is also stunning with a magnificent painting of a phoenix, the Kadokawa logo, by Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy fame) on the ceiling. (Pictured above).
It is a contemporary shrine of modern design, but is dedicated to two of the most famous and significant characters of ancient Japanese folklore. They are the Sun Goddess, Amaterasu, and her younger brother: Susanoo-no-Mikoto. In addition, the shrine is significant as the first stop, of 88, on the fashionable “anime 88 pilgrimage”. Apart from being a place of worship, the shrine aims to support and facilitate activities at Sakura town, successfully and safely.
Fortune telling torii
One of the coolest features of the shrine, in my humble opinion, is its torii. They illuminate the torii at night. The colors change when you walk through the torii. Moreover, the color tells your fortune:
- White: Increases financial luck
- Light blue: Improves study/work luck
- Yellow-green: Improves health luck
- Purple: Increases travel luck
- Red: an increase in your luck overall
- Pink: Increases luck in love
Furthermore, in summer the torii blows cool mist.
Setsubun Festival at Tokorozawa Sakura Town
In 2024 they will only have the setsunsai which costs 2000 yen to participate.
- You can see information for the current (or upcoming) exhibition at Grand Gallery here.
- Information for the current / upcoming exhibition at the EJ Anime Museum here.
- The current / upcoming exhibition at Edit and Art Gallery.
- The winter illumination in 2023 – 2024 will finish early, on February 4th 2023.
Tokorozawa Sakura Town
A summary of what’s available:
- Kadokawa Culture Museum including a Grand Gallery, Bookshelf Theater , Anime Museum and smaller galleries and facilities.
- Teamlab Acorn Forest until January 8th 2024.
- Kadokawa Restaurant
- Musashino Jurin Cafe
- Da Vinci Store
Event: Torii light up
Dates: ongoing, the event has been extended numerous times due to the popularity and currently there is no end date stated.
Time: from dusk
Cost: there is no admission fee
Venue: Tokorozawa Sakura Town (see map at bottom of post)
Tokorozawa Sakura Town is a ten minute walk from JR Musashino Line’s Higashi Tokorozawa Station. By car, the entertainment town is about 3.6 kilometers from the Kanetsu expressway. Parking costs 200 yen per half hour. The first half hour is free.
Find even more cool events and news for Saitama check the events category.