The State of Emergency in Saitama will run until February 7th 2021. At first glance the State of Emergency seemed quite limited in its reach. However, as more information becomes available, it is in reality a type of soft lockdown. For one, several public facilities will actually close. Including dozens of museums in Saitama Prefecture. Moreover, some events have already been cancelled and there is talk of others following suit.
State of Emergency 2021
Below a list of places that are closed during the State of Emergency from January to early February 2021 in Saitama Prefecture. All of these, unless otherwise stated, are closed until at least February 7th. (Daily Coronavirus / Covid-19 updates here).
Factory tours closed during the State of Emergency in Saitama 2021.
Children’s Centers (Jidokan)
There are probably dozens of jidokan that have or will close, but so far these are the only ones I’ve received official notification for:
- Appiland, Ageo
- Ageo Children’s Castle
- Kasukabe Dai Ichi Jidokan – Angel Dome
- Kasukabe Dai ni Jidokan – Guu
- Showa Jido Center – Smile
Museums & Libraries
The museums and prefectural libraries closed during the State of Emergency in Saitama 2021:
|Saitama Aquarium||Official website|
|Museum of History and Folklore||Official notice|
|Sakitama Ancient Burial Mounds||Official notice|
|Ranzan Historical Museum||Official notice|
|Museum of Natural History||Official notice|
|The Museum of Rivers||Official notice|
|Saitama Prefectural Archives||Official notice|
|Museum of Literature||Official notice|
|Saitama Prefectural Libraries|
Kumagaya and Kuki
|Peace Museum||Official notice|
|Tokorozawa Aviation Museum**until January 19th||Official notice|
|Youth Astronomical Museum **until May 31st||Official notice|
|JAXA **end date not decided yet||Official notice|
Extended to February 8th
|Skip City Visual Museum||Official notice|
|Honmaru Goten **until January 18th||Official notice|
|Kawagoe City Art Museum **until January 18th||Official notice|
|Kawagoe City Museum **until January 18th||Official notice|
|Yamazaki House **until January 18th||Official notice|
|Kawagoe Festival Museum **until January 18th||Official notice|
|Chichibu festival museum||Official notice|
|Disaster Prevention Learning Center||Official notice|
The “Genki Plaza” are a type of community center with various type of facilities.
- Kazo Genki Plaza – Official notice
- Ogawa Genki Plaza – Official notice
- Otaki Genki Plaza – Official notice
- Nagatoro Genki Plaza – Official notice
- Kamikawa Genki Plaza – Official notice
- Chikozan park zoo, but until January 12th (that maybe extended)
- Saitama Children’s Zoo is open, but the Beatrix Potter Museum, Children’s Castle and Eco Hauchu are closed. Also, several of their daily and weekly events have been cancelled.
- Chichibu Muse Park‘s music room is closed. The outdoor stage will close by 8 pm. Bird watching events have been cancelled.
- Kazo Miraikan’s planetarium is closed.
At the moment, the list is manageable, but if it becomes extensive I will start a new post with more detail. The following events have been cancelled on account of the 2021 State of Emergency:
Numakage Ice RinkThere’s already been a change in this – they are just changing their hours now.
- Kawaguchi Science Museum is remaining open for the moment, but they have cancelled their shows. Official notification.
- Events at the Saitama Children’s Zoo. More information on the closures and cancellations at the zoo here.
- The Setsubun Mamemaki ceremony at Kitain Temple has been cancelled.
- Setsubun is also cancelled at Hikawa Shrine (Omiya) due to the State of Emergency.
- One of Saitama’s most famous Setsubun festivals in Souganji Temple Kazo has been cancelled.
- Kijin Temple mamemaki bean throwing festival has also been cancelled.
Places that closed during the 2020 State of Emergency, but currently (January 8th) have no notification / intention to close during the 2021 State of Emergency: