A special Baki the Grappler exhibition is coming to the Kadokawa Culture Museum in Tokorozawa Sakura Town this summer. The anniversary exhibition started in Tokyo Dome City in April last year (2022) and due to its mammoth success is coming to Saitama on Saturday May 27th 2023. The exhibition is at the EJ Anime Museum on the 3rd floor of the Kadokawa Culture Museum*. Tickets are already on sale for Baki the Grappler; see the information section at the bottom of the post for links. Baki The Grappler follows a Bungo Stray Dogs exhibition which finishes showing at the EJ anime museum today, May 7th 2023.
*Kadokawa Culture Museum is also called Kadcul for short or Kadokawa Musashino Museum.
Baki The Grappler
Baki the Grappler is a martial arts anime / manga series. It celebrated 30 years in print in 2021. The exhibition was created in celebration of the 30 year anniversary. It showcases original artwork pieces from the creator of the series, Keisuke Itakagi. Moreover, you can see life size statues of characters, recreating scenes from Underground Arena, at the exhibition.
Highlights of Baki the Grappler
- An exhibition of original paintings looking back on many famous matches
- Several photo spots
- Life-size characters
- A recreation of Underground Arena
- Merchandise sales
EJ Anime Museum
The EJ Anime Museum opened at the Kadokawa Culture Museum (Kadcul) of Tokorozawa Sakura Town on November 6th 2020. It is just one of dozens of event and entertainment spaces in Kadcul. EJ Anime Museum is located on the 3rd floor of the Kadokawa Culture Museum. EJ stands for Entertainment Japan. There is also an EJ Anime Hotel at Tokorozawa Sakura Town. It opened for business on October 1st 2020. Take a peek inside here.
A floor by floor guide of Kadcul:
There are always several different events running at Sakura Town. Other events on during the period of the Baki exhibition include (but are not limited to):
- Yet to be announced exhibition at the Grand Gallery.
- A “Boys Love” exhibition starts on May 20th.
- There is a permanent outdoor Teamlab exhibition.
- Weekend events at Tokorozawa Sakura Town.
Baki the Grappler Exhibition Information
Dates: Saturday May 27th to Sunday July 9th 2023.
Hours: The museum is open from 10 am to 6 pm daily. However, the museum closes on the first, third and fifth Tuesday of each month (unless it is a national holiday and they open).
Cost: Tickets bought in advance cost 1400 yen for adults, 1200 yen for children. Advance tickets can be purchased here. On the day they cost 1500 yen for adults, 1300 yen for children.
Contact: The phone number of Kadcul is 0570-017-396. They man the phone from 2 pm to 5 pm on weekdays only. Kadokawa Musashino Museum official website.
The EJ Anime Museum is a ten minute walk from Higashi Tokorozawa station. Keep an eye out for the LED Manhole Covers on the walk! Parking available – it costs 200 yen for 30 minutes, but capped at 600 yen on weekdays and 1800 yen on weekends. It is a ticket less parking lot.
The images were taken from the Kadokawa Corporation website.
Previous exhibitions at the EJ Anime Museum on the 3rd floor of Kadcul included
- Bungo Stray Dogs from March 31st to May 7th 2023.
- Love Love Snoopy from February 11th to March 26th 2023.
- Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N from October 8th 2022 to January 29th 2023.
- Thomas and Friends Steam Adventure from July 16th to September 25th 2022.
- Rilakkuma and Sumikkogurashi Festival from mid April to mid May 2022.
- Gundam The Origin from January 22nd to March 21st 2022
- Marvel Studios Universe of Heroes from October 2021 to January 3rd 2022
- Trigger and Good Smile summer of 2021.
- Thomas the Tank Engine in spring of 2021. (ej-anime-museum-kadcul-thomas)
- The very first exhibtion: Newtype Anime Chronicle (ej-anime-museum-kadcul)
R221003 R230129 R230507
oh man how COOL!
I might try and go to it with the kids. Still a bit nervous bringing them to indoor locations, but we’ve got to start “living” with Covid at some point!